It’s been a quiet week in Lake Wobegon…

This is the post I was getting ready to publish when the power went out on Wednesday afternoon.  At that time, I thought it was the craziest my life would get this week.  I was wrong.
I live just outside a cute little town of 600 people.  There’s a restaurant (of sorts) on each end, a natural foods merchantile, an independent (used) car lot, an elementary school, a couple of churches, a post office, postage stampand an old-fashioned general store. 
Since there are days when I feel like talking to “real” people, I pay my water bill in person at Town Hall. 
I figure it saves me 43-cents in postage. 

Town hall isn’t a fancy place; really it’s just one of three storefronts all in a row in one building.  Not exactly a historical landmark.  At least I sure hope not, as you shall soon see…
Anyhoo, Tuesday was the day I paid my water bill.  Town Hall closes at 4:30pm, and at 4:15pm, I was trying to find a parking spot.  This post, this parking spot

Main Street is the business route of the local highway, and it gets kind of busy around then.  There are no stop lights to regulate the flow of traffic, and there are only a few parking spaces. 


I was trying to park in this    <– space, next to the closest metal pole – which is right in front of Town Hall.   There was a car in the space immediately behind this spot, which meant I had to try to back up into a skinny spot right next to passing traffic.    As I  S-L-O-W-L-Y  backed up, I heard a metal scraping sound.  I stopped.  I couldn’t see what happened, but I knew it wasn’t good.  I found a different parking spot and looked at the back of my scrape


Not terrible, but NOT GOOD. 
Then I went to look at whatever had made that mark, because from the sound I heard, I figured it had to be worse.  It was. 


This pole had been pushed off its metal cylindrical base and was hanging from the roofline like a stalagtite 4 inches above the sidewalk.  The metal cylindrical base is 6 inches tall.  This was NOT GOOD. 

I went in to pay my bill and confess to the clerk (who had just observed this all happening out the front window).  Being a small town, they call in a maintenance guy AND the mayor.  Hello, Mr. Mayor, how nice to meet you.  There is talk of insurance.  There is talk of a new roof.  A point is made that they already have my contact information (after all, I did just pay my water bill).  The maintenance guy disappears and returns driving a front loader, which he uses to lift up the corner of the porch roof so the mayor can guide the post back onto its base. 

When SuperDad came home last night, I met him in the garage, told him my tale of woe and pointed out the minor damage to my minivan.  For the next 15 minutes, I was subjected to ridicule about my misadventure as the story developed into “your mother drove into Town Hall today.”  SnakeMaster was with me during the incident, but he enjoyed turning it into a fish story as well.  Darn kid.  I’m going to hear about this for the next 10 years.   
So after supper?  I went back to take a little photo proof. 

From this pic you can see the fresh damage to the roof (mine) and some older damage (someone else…it wasn’t the first time someone has hit that post with a vehicle). 

You can also see the very sorry state of the entire roof.  Yeah, like I want my insurance to foot the bill for it to be replaced! 

Sorry you can’t see what the post looked like when it was off its base, but I didn’t have the camera with me when I paid my water bill seeing as how I don’t usually need pictures for my insurance company.

The end.  I hope. 

4 responses to “It’s been a quiet week in Lake Wobegon…

  1. What a week you’ve had! You definitely deserve some r & r after this! I hope you get it.

  2. oh my goodness, your town is pretty but your story is so awful!

  3. Pingback: WWC goes Retro « Kcinnova’s World

  4. Pingback: Sweet karma or guilty pleasure? « Kcinnova's World