Random Dozen #7 for me!
Lidna at 2nd Cup of Coffee
1. Are you pleasant when you’re ill, or are you a grumpy, fussy patient?
At home, I’m possibly a grouch (although only if you bother me)… at the hospital, I try to be sweet and not complain because my husband works there and I don’t want to do anything to reflect badly on him.
2. When you find out that school is canceled (due to inclement weather) what is your gut reaction?
Normally, it is a giant HOORAY!! For the past week, my reaction has been more along the lines of, “Yeah, it better be, because WE can’t get out.” I’m especially glad to know that we won’t have to make up these missed days when June rolls around. Our district has enough hours to make up for 15 “snow days” so we are more than covered by law.
3. What is one domestic skill you wish you could improve?
Oh, my. Probably all of them! My sewing skills shouldn’t actually be called skills. I CAN cook and bake, but it’s nothing to brag about. I can’t say that I enjoy cleaning my house –and I know some women who DO!– so if I had to choose one, that would be it. My husband would appreciate it, too; however, I’m certain the boys wouldn’t notice.
4. Do you decorate your home for Valentine’s Day?
Usually I do some decorating with hearts, etc., but since there are no little girls around, I don’t do much. I still have snowmen up (because we have 2-3 feet of snow on the ground). Maybe it will all go away if I put up Valentine decorations?
5. What song is on your mind today?
Actually… none. The blizzard has numbed my brain. Yesterday it was “Feed the Birds” from Mary Poppins. I bought a 40-lb bag of bird seed.
6. Do you prefer contemporary movies or classic?
Some of each, especially if they are musicals! I love The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, Phantom of the Opera, and Mamma Mia!
7. How well do you “compartmentalize” your feelings? For example, how well can you put aside a really trying moment to deal with the immediate situation which is not related to the trying moment, e.g., putting aside a tiff with your spouse in order to finish wallpapering a room.
I don’t think I’m good at compartmentalizing my feelings at all when it comes to my spouse, especially if we are working together and having a tiff at the same time! I would definitely need a break. However, I can do this reasonable well with friends. Go figure.
8. What is the first thing that attracted you to your spouse? (Or if you’re single, to your best friend.)
He looked directly at me when he spoke to me, so it was definitely his eyes and his smile that attracted me to him. I still think he’s hawt! 😀
9. When was the last time your heart raced?
I’m having trouble remembering the [specifically] last time this happened… but there was that time the preschooler pushed the toddler off the bed and the toddler landed on his head and didn’t cry… and the series of TIAs that EB kept having and we didn’t know what they were…
I even had an incident recently but it must have been awful enough that I deleted it from my memory.
10. What are your memories of Valentine’s Day at school?
We would decorate paper bags and hang them from the side or front of our desks with tape. I remember that someone’s mother always made decorated cupcakes (never mine — she worked full time outside the home) and there would be other treats, too. I remember the tension of choosing which valentine to give to which person (everyone in the class was supposed to give a valentine to everyone else — no one was supposed to be left out) and would I get any with a “special” message?
11. If you were going to receive candy for Valentine’s Day, which would you prefer?
CHOCOLATE! Belgian chocolate truffles or Dove dark chocolates would be best, but it truly would be hard to go wrong here.
12. Red or pink?